A.C. Baker Apparel

Welcome to the new and improved blog all about A.C. Baker Apparel

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Bits of things

This day marks my second attempt at blogging regularly, so dear reader, watch as I blather on about....ummm. I guess I really didn't plan my blog for today. The most recent issues on my plate are:

Premium denim and how it holds us hostage (the attack of luxe casual)

When will I sit down and do another 6 or 7 hour stint at the sewing machine?

The legitimacy of Jean Baudrillard (whom I just learned of yesterday...I will post more on him)


Starting with sewing: I just have to say that doing your own production sucks. What's more is that I am preparing for a "craft show" so I am also deciding what I think will sell the best and I will eat what doesn't. It's all a part of my master plan, but it wears on the nerves when I feel like I am so close to getting where I want to be. I just want to jump ahead in time and have it all be done. On the other hand, I am getting intimately familiar with my bags, the process and how important good construction is to a product. I revisit this one a lot with my bags as I am always learning new things about the process that I created. Seems weird, considering I invented the method to my madness, but the road to self discovery is often redundant. I figure that I am taking one for the team (me, myself, and I ), it'll just make me more endearing to my future production team and my depth of understanding for their plight.

On premium denim: When will it end?!!! I am so sick of $200 jeans that I could spit! REALLY PEOPLE!!! I think a great pair of jeans is great, but premium denim often fits worse than Levi's and costs way too much. I can think of about 200 reasons why you should buy your jeans at Mervyn's and spend your boutique money on cool things like a Rebecca Beeson suit (or at least part of a suit) or a really neat handbag designed by an independant designer that no one else could ever hope to have(hint hint)! Now, I have heard through the grapevine that premium denim is on it's way out, so we'll see. The most disturbing thing that premium denim brings to the table is a quasi unrealistic casual view of ourselves and surroundings. It's like we're saying to ourselves and the world that we don't take anything seriously....we are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a product that illustrates our ridiculousness. Just my opinion and I am sure many will disagree with it, but at heart I truly am a traditionalist. Well, I do have a stripe in my hair, but after that...

On Jean Baudrillard: I don't know much (my buddy Mona Mis introduced me last night), but he is an art historian philosopher that has some interesting theories on our perception of existence with technology. Heavy stuff all around. I will do some study on the matter and report back. What's really interesting is that the guy is still alive. Even if you don't agree with a philosopher, it's nice to know that they are still living and breathing among us, and not just some name in a textbook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home